There is a children's book we have called "Ruby in Her Own Time" about a mother and a father duck who are waiting for their eggs to hatch. When the eggs finally start hatching all but one hatch. The last egg finally hatches. It is this last little duckling who is named Ruby. Rubies brothers and sisters are constantly doing everything before her (eating, swimming, flying). Rubies mother has to keep telling the dad that Ruby will do things in her own time. And sure enough she does and at the end of the book it shows Ruby flying farther, faster, and longer than all her brothers and sister.
I was thinking lately that Ethan is our little Ruby. He defintely has to do things in his own time. Sometimes I get frusterated that it takes him longer to start doing things than I wish it would. I am proud of him and the advances he has made lately we have been working really hard on him getting dressed, undressed, putting on his shoes by himself, and especially finally being potty trained. Ethan is not a little boy that can be pushed into doing things it has to be his idea and it has to be when he is ready. One of the reasons I like the book "Ruby in Her Own Time" is because the parents are patient with her and in the end she soars high. I know Ethan is a handsome, smart, funny, imaginative little boy who is going to soar I love him so much and I am grateful for his accomplishments.
Wednesday, July 02, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
That was sweet Kim! He is such a nice little guy. I know he has changed so much since you moved. I will never forget how captivated he was when I read him The Cat In the Hat when I had the kids those couple days. He knew every word. It will be so fun to see what he is going to be when he grows up.
I love that book. I read it to my kids often because there is a little bit of Ruby in each of them. You are a great mom!
Very insightful Kim!! I'm going to have to check out that book. They have to just get it on their own don't they! It will be fun to see what our kids will become (if I don't ruin mine first!) You are a great mom!
Post a Comment