Wednesday, March 04, 2009

One of Those Days and a Silver Lining

Yes it has been one of those days already. It started out with Landon stirring and crying at way to early of an hour. I looked at the clock and thought to myself no way it's waaay to early for that. I was determined to not pry myself out of bed unless he really started howling. Thank goodness it was just a cry here or there and then some talking. I managed to keep myself in bed until it was more of a reasonable time to get up and Landon was finally being loud enough to go get. He wasn't crying, but calling out and talking loudly and I didn't want him to wake Madie and Ethan. I went in took him out of the crib, we snuggled in the rocker for a few minutes. Then he wanted down and procedeed to walk all around the room jabbering away and pointing at this and that. It was actally very sweet to see him wander about and to see that sweet face in the early morning light. He did end up waking Madie and Ethan, but it was almost time to wake them anyway. It's funny how his attitude changed upon Madie and Ethan's arrival. He then started in on whinning and getting upset if I put him down. We procedeed with our usual morning getting Madie off to school, but I just knew I had a rough morning ahead.

It was raining early today and it was one of those days where you think "Oh no what are we going to do all morning". I debated between going to Walmart or the Library, but the thought of getting everyone ready and out the door and into the rain gave me no motivation for the option of going out. Landon continued being difficult as I made the beds, started laundry and helped put the train track together. It seemed to take forever to get into the shower, but finally I made it in. I got my hair and makeup done, but by that point Landon was pitching fits all over. Ethan was playing Madie's Leapster and Landon was determined to get it. I was still in my pajamas but decided it was time to head downstairs for a change of scenery. I unloaded the dishwasher, made some muffins, swept and mopped the floor. I kept looking at the clock thinking you've got to be kidding me we still have tons of time unitl lunch and naptime. My mom called giving me a much needed five minutes of adult conversation. Ethan played on the computer and Landon was actually content for a little while looking at books, and carrying around his "baby". Yes Landon is very into Madie's old babies. He loves to carry them around, and push them in the stroller, it's very sweet to watch him interact softly with the baby and give it kisses.

Finally the witching hour arrived and there was a lot of whinning on the part of both Landon and Ethan. At last it was time to start making lunch. Ethan procedeed to complain about what was being made for lunch. I told him that he had to choices Mac and Cheese or no lunch. He finally decided that the first option was better than the second and we actually had quite a peaceful meal. After cleaning up lunch it was obvious that Landon was more than ready to go to blissful slumber and I was more than ready for him to go. We did our usual naptime routine of changing his diaper, wrapping his blankets around him, sitting in the rocker, reading a book, and singing our song. I had barely made it through the song when I looked down to see that he was asleep, my silver lining. Landon is old enough that he doesn't fall asleep in my arms anymore so to look down and see that little sleeping angel face, brought peace and happiness to my soul. That rare occurance of actually holding him close to my as he sleeps made the craziness of the morning melt away. How will the rest of the day go, I don't know, but for that breif moment of holding and rocking, and kissing his head my day was perfect. I know that most likely the rest of the day won't be easy, but at least now I don't think I will be checking myself into the looney bin (that's always up for debate though). Cheers to all the mothers out there that have had days like this and the fortitude to keep going even as you pull out that last hair.

7 comments:

Tracey said...

Sorry Kimbino! I'm glad Landon went down for a nap and you got a little snuggle time, that's the best. Yesterday was that kind of day for us...Alexis had a fever, and threw up all over herself last night...awesome. Luckily she's feeling better today!

THE YOUNG-INS said...

Oh how true life can be when things go crazy and then something so endearing happens. How special.

Emily said...

Seriously.... us Mom's can go loopy sometimes! Luckily we can look back someday (from what I hear) and totally miss and laugh about those moments!

Julia Shinkle said...

That is pretty close to how my day went yesterday...Bo woke up at 6:30 and was down for the count for his nap by 12:30 and he fell asleep in my arms too! How sweet!

Holly said...

That really is the best! Unfortunately with the twins I almost never got to rock them to sleep. But every now and again the stars will align and I end up with a sleeping little boy in my arms. Like you said, it totally melts the heart!

Kelli said...

What a sweet story of your day I loved it! Those few moments making being a mom worth it all. Good luck with your day tomorrow.

Stevens said...

So sweet. I've been noticing lately how rarely Micah ends up in that sweet sleeping position in my arms - actually not at all these days - but still love to snuggle with him. Hope he woke up bright and cheerful! Guess I won't be seeing you in the Looney bin this time around...