Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Ottoman Project

About six years ago Jeff and I made this ottoman. I really wanted an ottoman, but they were so expensive that I persuaded Jeff to go along with my silly idea of making our own. He made a wood frame (pretty much a table), then we bought a big ol' piece of foam glued it to the frame and I did all the sewing. Well after six years and three kids let's just say it had seen better days. I also didn't really pay attention to the fact that it was more of a drapery fabric than upholstery fabric and was dry clean only. I decided it was high time for an ottoman slipcover. I found some cute fabric at Calico Corner ordered some and set to work. This time I decided a slipcover would be good so I could actually wash it if need be. I also decided this time I am going to put some spray fabric protector on it to make clean up even easier. I am happy with how it turned out. Now I am looking into buying some legs for it so don't look too close at the bottom because I still need to hem it up.

Before:

Photobucket
I found this picture and decided it showed off nicely what a few years and few kids can do to fabric.

After:

Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket

13 comments:

Michelle said...

ooooh I like it, it pulls together the green in that room well!

Holly said...

Seriously, how talented are you?!? I love the fabric you chose and it makes your cute house look even cuter! Seriously... as we start to build our home I am going to have to get your opinion on some things.

Julia Shinkle said...

I love it! So smart to make it removable! Great job Kim! I wish you lived here still so you could help me arrange my funiture in my living room. Love the project!

Cami said...

So cute!

Denise G said...

great work Kim. I remember VT you at your old house. I loved that ottoman. I thought you were so talented then and even more so today. Just too bad I didn't convince you to make one for me before you moved. LOL

Dinger said...

Love, love, love the fabric!!! I need you to come to my house and help me pull colors together!! So cute!

Emily said...

Good work! I see you have MANY talents!

Becky said...

I remember when you made that! I thought you were so talented and now I think you are still so talented I love the new green, way cute.

kg said...

I too remember the making of that ottoman...love that new fabric!!

Kelli said...

So cute! Your house is beautiful and the photos you take are always so fantastic!

Amanda Davis said...

Great job!!! I don't think I could ever take on something like that and have it turn out. I swear I wish I could have you come and make over my house! I love your colors and style! I am in need of some making over in my house!!!

Tracey said...

turned out very cute! Like everyone else who's commented, I also really like the fabric. Good job! I don't think I even knew that you guys made that ottoman, I thought you bought it!:) Seriously.

Amelia said...

LOVE the color! I have a thing for that green, I have to stop myself from buying everything that color... It looks great, I didn't know you sewed, add it to the list of super talents. :)