It is official Owen is two months old. Owen is a blessing to our family, but this last two months has been really hard. We started out with a planned c-section, but Owen had different plans, he decided to come nine days early (I think they had my due date wrong). Even being early he was a good 8 lbs. 7 oz. and I was grateful that he didn't have jaundice like Ethan and Landon both did. When we came home from the hospital we came home to a house of sickness. We all caught a really nasty cough bug that we just couldn't seem to kick. Then at Owen's two week appt. he hadn't gained enough weight so we worked hard on getting him fed more often and he started gaining more. At four weeks Owen started coughing as well, so I took him to the Dr. to make sure it wasn't anything serious, well guess what it was serious. Owen we diagnosed with RSV on a Monday. I took him back on Tuesday to have him his oxygen levels checked and he was fine, but by early morning Wednesday I was taking him to the emergency room because he was having such labored breathing. He ended up spending six days in the hosptial on oxygen and getting deep suctioned. That six days was a huge trial for me. It was six of the hardest days of my life. I felt so alone, so isolated, so helpless. I missed Jeff, the kids, our home, and our life. I cried everyday. Owen is doing better now, but still coughs, and will probably continue coughing for a while. Last week I got Mastitis and today I found out that I need to take Owen to physical therapy because he is favoring one side of his head and his head is starting to flatten on that side. If we don't start correcting this and loosening his neck muscles he will have to wear a helmet to correct the flattening.
At times I feel like giving up it seems like we won't ever find normality. I know in the grand scheme of things this time will go fast, but there are days, so many days when I feel like I don't know if I can make it. I guess this is one of those times of life where you have to hang on, be strong, have faith, and hope for the best. Maybe I'm supposed to get stronger in these areas? I am extremely grateful for sweet little Owen and that he is a part of our family. I just want him to be strong and healthy, because he sure is special and very very loved.
Monday, March 29, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Oh Kim...I have been wanting to call and chat with you for some time but have not wanted to bother you. I guess I should have. I have two friends whose baby had the neck muscle thing and after 4-5 months of therapy they were a lot better. I had never heard of it before that.
Can you e-mail me your number so I can call and talk to you. I am already going out of my mind thinking of this next baby and am so nervous.
You an amazingly strong women, wife and mother Kim! I am sorry to hear about the news about Owens head...call me when ever you want please!
Kim, you're right, just go forward with faith! That's what we all do! And you're right about looking back at this as a small moment in time and you'll be amazed at your strength and you'll be sharing your stories and experiences with other young mothers.
Hang in there, I'm so happy your back at home, over the sickness...muscle therapy will be a walk in the park (we've had several friends who've had to do the same with their babies).
Kim, I feel for you! Can I help you in anyway? Dinner, babysitting, etc? I feel so terrible for you right now. I have never gotten Mastitis, but I've gotten clogged ducts with each one of my nursing children, and it was pretty uncomfortable. Let me know if I can help you in any way.
Wow, I can't believe how much you and your family have gone through in two short months! Bless you heart.
We went through Torticollis with Ben. He looked adorable in his little helmet, but it took a lot of work and physical therapy to get his head and neck straightened back out. They didn't catch it until he was six months old, so hopefully since Owen is younger he will be able to work it out through exercise and therapy alone. (Those helmets don't come cheap). Too bad the helmets are custom fit or I could just send you ours. :)
Lots and lots of tummy time and fun toys that get him looking to the side and stretching that neck out was the trick. We also found Ben loved us rubbing his neck while he was stretching and it seemed to help him turn his head further.
One of those banana shaped headrests works really well for keeping his neck and head upright while he sits in his car seat.
The good news is Ben is great now, and can turn his head almost as far to one side as he can the other.
Oh Kim, I hope things get much easier for you in the very near future!
I'm so sorry you've having such a hard time Kim. It really would be nice if we lived closer, especially during times like these. I'm sure you're sick of hearing this, but hang in there..."this too shall pass." We are all just doing the best we can, even if sometimes it doesn't feel like enough.
I too have friends whose babies have had to do physical therapy and in some cases wear a helmet, but they are doing good now.
You are a good mother Kimmy, and your kids love you, don't ever forget that!
Kim,
I feel what you are going through our little guy is three months old and we had to take him to primary childrens in January. The found he has torticollis which is a lump in his neck muscle it scared us pretty good. He starts physical therapy on the 14th to work his neck muscles because he favors one way too. Hope all goes well for you guys. Grandpa Hodson sure had a great time watching the kids have their easter hunt at his house
Karla Ahlmer
Kim...I have thought about you so much and know that Heavenly Father has been watching out for your little guy and your sweet family. I am going to try and give you a call. I also just read about Alexis...man, you and Tracey have really been through it the last couple of months. Hang in there! Love you, friend!
Post a Comment