Saturday, January 14, 2012

Be Healthier (a rant)

This is just a random post, but we had an enrichment the other night about new year and getting ourselves more healthy spiritually, physically, and getting our homes more organized.

Jeff was out of town all week so I had to take all four kids with me. I went to the first two classes, but missed the last class on home organization. It would have been fun, but it was getting late and I figured I better head home because at our house getting all the kids in bed seems to take forever.

I really enjoyed the spirituality class and the physical health class. I have to say I feel lucky that I have never been really overweight, but I am currently heavier than I have been before and just not happy with how I look. I have decided that I have to stop procarsinating and really get doing something, because this life of complacency isn't doing me any good. That time of eating what you want and how much you want and not worrying about it has come to an end. I think something about turning 30 (and I guess having two children in my 30's) hasn't helped me.

I bought a Jillian Micheals 30 day shred video when I was pregnant with Owen so I could start doing it after he was born. Well here we are almost two years (in two weeks)Owen turns two) later and I just started doing it this last week. I actually did the video everyday. I dont' know why it is just so hard to find or make the time to excercise. I personally have to say that I do not at this point in time love excercising. But I am determined to do it anyway and to "make" the time to do it.

I don't even know where I am really going with this post other than I want my life and my kids life to be more heathly and nautral. I sometimes feel like throwing all the crackers and cookies away because I feel like my kids are always gravitating towards those things. I need to stock my house with more fruits and vegtables (getting some of the kids to even eat vegtables is a chore at times). So I am wondering if any of you readers (if anyone is even still reading) have any suggestions on this subject. How to you maintain cleaner eating in your houses?

One of the recipes they had us try at the activity was a quinoa chili. It was good, I don't know if my kids would even eat it, but I got on Pinterest (my new love for finding recipes) and pinned a bunch of quinoa recipes. Some looked pretty good and I am going to challenge myself to try new healthier recipes. I will put a little disclaimer here that pinterest is also a place to find way to many sweet treat recipes that look divine, so if you get on and you pin them all like me, try to remember to only make them every now and then or for parties only :)

This is just a rant, but I would love to know what your thoughts are on the subject and if you having any suggestions on things that have worked for you eating, or excercising wise, I would love to know. So leave comments PLEASE!!!!

2 comments:

Julia Shinkle said...

You know I LOVE this topic! Finding time to exercise is so hard. You know my solution is to do it in the first thing in the morning...I mainly do that because I am so selfish with the rest of my day....I want it to myself. Plus there is benifits physically to doing it in the morning. You are the second person to mention quinoa in the last couple of days. I don't even know what it is...I'll have to check it out. Keep it up and you know I'm still reading...just randomly because I don't get updates. : )

Holly said...

We've already been talking behind the scenes, but I have one very picky little eater. I talked to a nutritionist recently about how I can't get a fruit or vegetable down him. She said the answer is one most parents don't like, if he's hungry enough he'll eat it.

Since we've gotten rid of all the junk options around here he's slowly but surely been coming around. When he's hungry I tell him he's welcome to anything in the house (since I now it's all good for him). He used to wallow and look around, but he came to terms with it and he likes to be in control of what he eats. He used to never eat any produce (and I mean no bananas, grapes, strawberries... nothing) and now he eats quite a bit. It has to be on his own terms though, if I suggest he has some apples he wants nothing to do with them.

But it's tough, I empathize. And it doesn't matter what I make for dinner every night before he even sees what it is he's complaining that he won't like it (though after sampling he usually eats it).

It's maddening, but it's getting better.