Monday, September 24, 2007

Heros

All of us have special everyday heros that we look up to. One of those heros to me is my Grandma Rieske. She is an amazing women who has lived through amazing times. She has seen humble circumstances, lived through WWII, seen incredible technological advances, she has survived cancer, lived without her eternal companion, worked hard, raised wonderful daughters, and seen her family grow and grow. She is a woman who is an amazing mother, grandmother, and great grandmother. She is a great neighbor, one who thinks about others and never asks for anything in return. I have such great memories with her and my grandpa: picking raspberries in the back yard, finding stray golf balls, playing office in the basement, Christmas mornings, Arby's and horsey sauce, surprising her for lunch at work with grandpa, canning, road trips (Carlsbad, White Sands, El Paso for Christmas), spending the night, watching her get ready in the morning while listening to the news on the radio, family reunions, swinging on the back patio, sealing envelopes, and wonderful chats, just to name a few. I have so much respect for this woman. She has lived longer than anyone in her family and yet she has gone through so much physically. I hope I can emulate this amazing woman and make her proud by being a good woman myself. I feel privileged to be part of her posterity and to call her Grandma. We almost lost this amazing Woman the other night. I am so glad that she is doing well. I want you to know Grandma that I respect you, look up to you, and love you more than you will ever know. It will be a very sad day when you leave us, but you have lived so well, you should be proud of all that you have done, and the legacy you have made. You are so loved by your family. Thank You for being an example to me. I Love You!!!

6 comments:

Julia Shinkle said...

What a beautiful post! Will someone read it to her who reads your blog and is close to her? I am glad to hear she is ok.

Kymberly said...

What a special tribute..I'd comment more but I can not see the keys through my tears...You too are a very special "Hero"

Cami said...

That was so neat!

Amber, your Neighborhood Nutritionist said...

AMEN!! Love you, Grandma!

Hayley said...

Thank you so much for writing this about Grandma. I couldn't have said it any better. This past week has been a scary one. Kind of a reality check

Spencer Smith said...

Kim,
Well said, well said.. we are truly lucky aren't we.
Let us never take this for granted.

Gma, we love ya!