
Here is where I could use some advice. Landon in the last week has gone from napping for about 2 hours (sometimes longer) to not napping. We have been on a great schedule for napping for a long time now. We would read a book or two, snuggle with blankets, and sing a song, then I would set Landon in the crib and leave. Most often it would be within about 10 minutes that he would be asleep. In the last week he has become very emotional about naptime and has been crying while we read book and sing our song. I have been having to sit in on the rocking chair ottoman until he falls asleep and then sneak out because he cried if I even tried to leave. On Saturday I was hoping that Jeff would not have this same reaction, but lo and behold Landon did the same thing with him and I eventually was in there sitting on the ottoman again. When he fell asleep I snuck out it was not more than a half hour later that he was screaming and I mean screaming. Jeff and I heard a thump and then his door open, yes he actually hopped down out of the crib and came out of his room. Now I am going to state that I don't think our other kids even ever thought that getting out of the crib was a possibility and never even attempted to get out. I don't know where Landon came from sometimes. Jeff and I tried to put him back in the crib a couple of times with no success every time ended the same way, him jumping out and opening the door. This happened again on Sunday and again today. I am at my whits end, a week ago things were great and now I have no clue what to do about this. He goes to sleep when I am there, so I think he must be tired but within a half hour he wakes up, notices I'm not there and freaks out. He is only two and half and way to young to me to not be napping anymore. So if you have any suggestions please feel free to comment, because I am clueless on what to do and am baffled by the sudden change. Please Help!!!




11 comments:
My kids around 2 stopped napping. They were usually in a big kid bed because there was always a new baby. I would have resting time. We would watch a movie or read some books on the couch. Sometimes they would fall asleep and sometimes not. This is all I've got. Hope it's helpful.
Hang in there Kim! Google it! You might find some good suggestions?
Brahm, who is 6 months younger than Landon, used to take his afternoon nap at 12:30 (like clockwork!). I was excited for the 2009 school year to start up again because I would have the afternoons free to give Ava some one on one time. But, the day that Simon went back to school, Brahm stopped laying down for naps. It was very weird. He now puts himself to sleep. He usually plays with Ava in the toyroom in the afternoon, and I will find him at some point around 3:00 pm sleeping on the ground. He'll bring a pillow in and a blanket and fall asleep on his own. I then transfer him to my bed (not his crib).
So many sames in this post. Love the pics of Landon wiht his 'puppy', I've been wanting to do a similar post with Grace and her 'puppy' but it went missing! Also, Grace has been horrible at napping, not to mention getting up at night again...so I'm feeling your pain. I think I'm going to have to let her cry it out (which I hate to do)...that would be my only suggestion and maybe after a couple times he would be back to his routine?
You know... April and Taylee were fabulous nappers until the age of 3. Brynn stopped napping around the age of 2 and it killed me! My entire pregnancy with Justin I wasn't able to nap, because she wouldn't nap. I had to resort to quiet time. Just cuddling with her on the couch and read with her or watch a movie in hopes that she would fall asleep. Some days it worked better than others. I know I didn't help any, but good luck with it all!
I know you don't want to hear this but both my kids have stopped napping before 3. Sad but true. Sam still takes one occasionally, but more often than not he just hangs out in there for an hour or so. Does he have anything he likes a lot that you could stick in his crib with him so both of you at least have some quiet time for an hour? Good luck.
You seem to have a lot of comments already, but my kids rarely took naps after 2 1/2 (unless we were in a car) and were always out of a crib by 18 months. I suggest trying a bed...just a thought.
Well you could alway put a child proof lock on the inside of his bedroom door and just let him play with stuffed animals and books and see if he does not put himself to sleep but you know that he won't leave his room so at least he is gettin quiet time or maybe put him in his crib and he climbs out he at least can't leave his room and he would get quiet time. I know my kids always sleep in cars but never take naps which always makes me laugh cause you know they are tired and they need the nap.
He IS too young to stop napping, I agree. Maybe he's ready to transition to a later nap time? Claire used to go down right after lunch, now she'll push it to as late as 3pm sometimes. Makes it harder for her to nap when all the girls are home from school, but she's just not tired as early as she used to be. I hope you can figure something out! Maybe some sleeping techniques like Supernanny does or something like that would work.
First of all...those pictures of him are so super cute!!! He is irresistible! And, as for the nap thing...don't have much experience with that area. Good luck!
I hope that I can tell you what I did when I got to this point and not have someone think I am a terrible mom... but I found peace when I heard Dr. Phill say it is ok.... Anyway here are a few things I did... Ethan was my only one that did this (walk out of the room and not nap, so I tried just sitting by the door (the out side of the room. He had no toys in his room only books. So he might get out of his bed but he wouldn't play he only had books to look at. this worked for a while but then he was coming out even though I was still there and it was taking a good hour or more for him to go to sleep and I was soooo tired (and pregnant) I couldn't take it anymore so I turned his bed room door knob around (so the lock is on the out side) Then I could lock him in. So I would lock the door, he couldn't get out and would read books often falling asleep right by the door. I would unlock the door as soon as he was a sleep. When he was 3 I started having him lay on my bed with me with a stack of books the rule was he could look at the books but wasn't aloud to talk or get down. Sometimes he would fall asleep and sometimes he wouldn't but I could lay next to him and rest (nap). Even when my kids out grew naps, (about 3 or 3 1/2) I still make them have "quiet time". Which means they can sit on their bed looking at books, or coloring but there is no tv, no playing with toys, no talking... I even do this with my big kids during the summer because I need the down time! They need down time even if they don't sleep so they aren't overly tired by the end of the day. Sometimes my kids would go through a short time where they would fight the nap and then all of a sudden they would nap again for a little while longer until they stopped for good. Good luck hang in there. This is a rough time to go through. I need naps or at least quiet time and I know it is hard to not have it when your body, and mind needs it. Good luck!!!!
Post a Comment