Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Valentines Day Crafting

So I have to declare that I am officially obsessed with Pinterest. I love it. What to I love about it? I love that I can log in and see ideas galore for just about anything I need. I have been pinning Valentines ideas like crazy and decided I was going to make some of them for my children's Valentines this year. I was super happy with how they all turned out. I think my husband thought I was a little wacky for spending so much time making them, but I got a carried away with how fun it was to be doing something crafty. So if you are not on pinterest then I suggest you join in on the fun, because not only are there great crafting ideas, but there are great recipes and I have been trying a ton of them, and all have been super yummy. My kids have been noticing that I am on a recipe trying kick and came up with a nickname for our new dinners "mummers", it stands for Mom's experimental recipes. We were driving in the car when my oldest son said to my daughter about the ravioli we were going to be having for dinner "well at least it's not a mummer". I said "what is a mummer?" and then the truth came out. So theres my plug for Pinterest.. My other plug is for Groopdealz. They have daily specials on super cute crafty things. The items range from cute hair accessories, decor for you home, graphic arts, clothing, etc.. On groopdealz one day they had a valentines printable offer that was so cute I just had to buy it. I spent like $5.00 for the files and I used those for my middle son,s valentines this year. So here are some of our homemade wonders from this years Valentines Day.

These Valentines are the ones my daughter used. I turned on of the valentines into a little flag to put on the straw as a Valentine for her and my son's teachers. I got the cute idea for the cup and drink singles and valentines off Pinterest.

Photobucket



These are my daugthers and sons valentines "boxes" for school. My daugthers was not an idea from pinterest. She was a painter for Halloween so we turned her craftstore paint can from her costume into her valentine collector. We just glued some cute little cutouts from a Pinterest download onto pink paper and then I taped it to the inside of the can. Then we tied red, light pink, and hot pink ribbons on the handle. My son is totally obsessed with Angry birds so when I saw a pin for a bunch of Angry Birds crafts I decided to take a look. One of the ideas was how to make your own Angry Birds. They made some out of making paper cyclinders. Then the idea hit me, to use an empty food storage can and wrap paper around that and make an Angry Bird. It would be more sturdy and he could use it as a valentine collector. In the picture I just made a paper top, but then decided to make it more sturdy by using the can lid instead. I just cut a slot in the plastic lid and glued paper around the rim and on the top, so it would be red as well. It turned out really cute and he is already wanting to make more birds now.

Photobucket



My oldest son loves Star Wars so when I found some cute Star Wars printable valentines on Pinterest I asked him if he would like to use those and he said yes. I used my Groopdealz printables for my middle sons valentines. The printables came with bag toppers, cards, and little treat tents. I used the bag toppers for his valentines and I used the treat tents for some valentines I made for the kids in my class I teach at church.

Photobucket



I know I sound like an advertisement here, but it was fun to actually make our valentines this year. Every other year we have just used store bought ones, but I was getting tired of buying the same old ones for my kids every year and it felt good to be crafty. So next time a Holiday is approaching or you need a new recipe hop on to Pinterest and get some ideas, I know I will.

2 comments:

Amy H. (bird geek) said...

They all turned out so cute, Kim! Even with the help of Pinterest, I don't know that I could pull that off. I'm impressed.

And "mummers" cracked me up!

Leslee said...

So I always am forgetting to check your blog now that you're private because it doesn't show up on my news feed anymore. How cute were your kids' Valentines? So crafty and cute. I hear ya with Pinterest. There is so much fun stuff on there. I need to try some more different recipes like you've been trying. Sounds like your family has enjoyed the "mummers". Ha ha.